The Council of the City of Revelstoke hereby gives notice of its intention to enact the Garbage Collection and Disposal Bylaw No. 2080, which takes effect on February 1, 2016.
The City’s objective is to provide a cost effective, efficient, and environmentally friendly garbage collection program for the residents of Revelstoke and to encourage more recycling and/or backyard composting.
The proposed bylaw changes are noted as follows:
• Residential garbage collection will be reduced from two garbage containers to one.
• The weekly garbage collection schedule will be reduced from five business days to four and will no longer rotate with statutory holidays.
• Garbage collection for buildings containing greater than four units that currently receive the City’s service will need to make alternative arrangements for transport of garbage to the Revelstoke landfill.
• Commercial premises that currently receive the City’s tag-a-bag collection service located outside of Connaught Avenue to Orton Avenue and Third Street to Victoria Road will need to make alternative arrangements for transport of garbage to the Revelstoke landfill.
• Multi Material British Columbia (MMBC), on behalf of industry, continues to be responsible for the local recycling program as it has since January 1, 2015.
• Bear proof containers will no longer be available for use due to failure of the latching system and icing problems during the winter months. The City will provide a bear proof dumpster to Johnson Heights in lieu of curbside collection.
The current annual rate for residential garbage collection is $110.00 per dwelling (or dwelling unit) and the tag-a-bag sticker for additional residential garbage bags and commercial use is $2.00 each. The 2016 rates are subject to budget discussions. It is proposed that the tags be increased to $3.00 to cover the cost of collection, transportation and disposal.
To review the bylaw, please click on the link below.
The above-noted bylaw will be considered for adoption on Tuesday, January 26, 2016.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Corporate Administration Department, City of Revelstoke, at 250-837-2911 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.