Retail Displays and Outdoor Patios
A business owner who wishes to encroach on City sidewalks or road rights-of-way with retail displays or additional outdoor seating areas (i.e. patio) can submit an application to the Development Services department (under DS-6 Encroachments on City Sidewalks Policy and DS-1 Outdoor Patios Policy) for the following:
- Display Table - is a 24" x 30" or 42" display table placed along the frontage of the business.
- Display Rack - is a 40" x 40" display rack placed along the frontage of the business.
- Sandwich Board Signage - is a 24" x 36" portable sign along the frontage of the business.
- Sidewalk Patio (Non-Fenced) - is an unfenced area used for dining and/or public seating purposes, along the frontage of the business.
- Sidewalk Patio (Fenced) - is a separated area be a fixed structure such as fencing, used for dining and/or public seating purposes, along the frontage of the business until October 15, 2020. Licensed restaurant patios must be fenced.
- Curbside Patio - is an enclosed area, used for seasonal dining that extends over one to two parking stalls, along the frontage of the business until October 15, 2020.
Temporary Expanded Liquor Service Area
The City has chosen the Liquor & Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB) Pre-Approval option for the temporary expansion to service areas for Food Primary, Liquor Primary, and Manufacture licensees. The proposed patio extension must meet the LCRB Temporary Expanded Service Area Authorization and the business must apply for a COVID Extension Application through the LRCB. The LCRB will authorize this temporary expansion under the owners current licence, the Province has waived fees for this application and authorization process for the COVID Temporary Extension Application (this approval expires Oct 31st, 2020).
Prior to constructing the temporary expansion patio on City lands, a Business must apply with Development Services for Patio Application / Agreement to ensure the Business has liability insurance and does not impede on the flow of pedestrians or public work of operations.
Parklet Pilot Project
The City is committed to supporting businesses impacted by COVID-19. The Parklet Pilot Program has been established as an extension of the City’s current DS-1 Outdoor Patios Policy to provide support to businesses that are interested in converting sidewalks and parking stalls into expanded outdoor public seating areas. The additional seating space created by this program will help businesses and their customers follow the physical distancing measures outlined by the Provincial Health Officer.
This program allows businesses to set up temporary parklets on City land for FREE until October 15, 2020.
Are temporary public seating areas that extend over one to two parking stalls, along the frontage of a business. Includes Public seating, landscaping, and bike parking.
A business who is interested in being part of the Parklet Pilot Program will be required to submit the following:
1. Application Form
2. Proposal Letter – letter explaining why the business should be considered for the pilot program and how they plan to utilize and activate the parklet.
3. Dimensional Site Plan Drawing – view from above with measurements noted.
4. Dimensional Elevation Drawing – front and side views with measurements noted.
5. Business License – 2020 City of Revelstoke Business License.
6. Liability insurance – general liability insurance with the City of Revelstoke listed as an “additional Insured”, with a minimum $2,000,000 coverage.
7. Business Letter of Support – letter of support from the adjoining property owners and businesses (support from 66% of the block face is required).
The City is committed to supporting businesses impacted by COVID-19. All application fees are waived for the year 2020 as prescribed in Fees and Charges Bylaw No. 2256 associated with applications on City owned or leased land for uses such as: vending or busking; retail purposes (i.e. sandwich board sign, display racks and tables); and, outdoor patios.For more details and application requirements please contact: